Advertisement

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Introducing Off-Color Commentary with "Rusty Says..."

We're introducing a character here on Revit Add-ons named Rusty. Rusty will occasionally weigh in on posts with some off-color commentary. He's intended to be humorous, but sometimes might be a little snarky too.

As some of you may know, I took a rather unusual path to Revit. I started my career as a young drafter in the US Marine Corps. After my military service, I chose a career in civil engineering and became something of a MicroStation guru (gasp!). I even worked for a Bentley Systems reseller for a time. It was after that job that I decided I wanted to do something different, and moved into the architectural realm with the wonderful firm NBBJ as a Bentley Architecture technologist. And it was a few years after that that I embarked on my Revit journey. So yeah, my path has probably been... atypical.

I mention all this because it was a MicroStation-centric author who inspired Rusty, and I like to give credit where credit is due.

Keith Little wrote and published numerous MicroStation books under his Adage Books banner. They were among the best technical books I've read because they presented material in very engaging, and even humorous, ways. The books featured a character named Bubba who often opined prosaic in "Bubba Sez" sidebars, and this was the inspiration for Rusty. (This was like 20 years ago. It's funny what sticks.)

The first time I thought to introduce Rusty was when a vendor, to remain unnamed, introduced an add-in that was priced comparable to Revit itself. Fortunately, that vendor later dramatically reduced the price of its product.

Rusty's a cowboy owing to our popular roundups, and his red hair fits in nicely with our color scheme.

We intend to have some fun with Rusty, and hope he gives you a chuckle or two.

Check out Rusty's debut in this post about Kiwi Codes' Bonus Tools!

No comments: